Starcraft 1 Goes Free To Play!
While most game patches tend to change the experience of a game, making it free to all is a bit of un-expected move, as Blizzard releases the original Starcraft game to all!
While the new updated version of the original game and it’s Brood War expansion were announced to be coming later in the later in the summer, no-one expected the company to release the original Starcraft itself to the community without charge. While it did come after a slight patch to fix minor compatibility issues and glitches, the game is exactly how it was when it released in 1998!
The 1.18 patch also includes some needed updates for the game, including the following improvement, and a lot more:
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
- Added UTF-8 support.
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
- Added options to display actions per minute.
- Added Observer mode.
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
Get ready to taste the sci-fi nostalgia as the old world of Real-time-strategy is unleashed, and see the origins of such classic characters such as Jim Raynor, Arcturus Mengsk, and even the Queen of Blades herself.
One majorly unexpected addition to this release is it’s cross-game functionality. Blizzard says owners of the (now free) original game and upcoming Remastered edition will be able to play each other online (although I`m sure the arguments in regards of which one is best to play in competitive mode will rage on until the Remastered edition gets it’s own Remastered edition!).
Latest posts by Neo (see all)
- Overwatch 50% off Black Friday Deal! - November 21, 2017
- Old Foes Return in World of Warcraft 13th Anniversary Celebration Event! - November 19, 2017
- Overwatch League Details - November 13, 2017