SALEM: A Strategic Card Game of Deception
As I do my weekly creeping on Kickstarter, something from the depths catches my eye. Something dark… Something sinister… Something magical… Behold! SALEM!
Now ask yourself, when you think of the Salem witch trails, what pops into your mind? Movies you watched in high school when you got a sub? Maybe the Salem TV show? Not anymore… Now think: Card Game. So go grab your friends and let’s practice some witchcraft…
Salem is a 4-12 person card game where you must find out who the witch is in the group by accusing those around you and protecting innocents. The style of the game really interested me because it was pretty fast paced. Each round, you play your cards (as many as you would like) or draw 2 cards. You keep going going around the table removing each other’s tryal cards. For a better run down of the game Travis Hancock made this little video on how to play.
Reasons why I like this game and why I think you should also kick start this game
- The game was put together by a family not a large company
- While this isn’t a huge deal, it is nice to see individuals instead of companies producing games
- It is quick (estimated 25-35 minute play), but it still requires a high level of strategy
- Beautiful Artwork!
- Fun and interesting game style
- $25 bucks and you get the game with free shipping in the US
- Really fun container (The case is made to look like an old bound book)
Concerns I had about backing this campaign
- Funding needed was $6000 Total
- This makes me fear that they won’t be ready for the high volume of backers
- Rewards are kind of bogus
- $25 for the game, $45 for 2 games, $100 for 4 plus some pins… (Pins? Seriously?)
- Not horribly easy for new players
- Not ok with needing a town crier/moderator
- Need at least 4 people to play
- While this isn’t difficult for most everyone, it is hard to do with a small family
This is still a fund for me. I want to get my hands on this and get this Tryal going and find me some Witches. Full review to come when the game ships. Until then head over to the Kick Starter Page and back it if you find it as interesting as I do.