Quarter Up! Ep 49: The Return of Quarter Up!
Quarter Up! is back baby! We’re here, once again, to blow your minds with gaming news goodness! We’re sorry we were gone for such a long time, but a lot has happened in the meantime! I couple of format changes, some personal life stuff for everyone (all good things, so CELEBRATE), and lots more content to come! Stick around, have a listen, let us know what you think!
- Nintendo switch official specs.
- ‘NVIDIA customized Tegra processor for GPU/CPU.
- Some like Ars Technica are assuming that this GPU/CPU will resemble Maxwell more than Pascal architecture (Croog was right).
- 32 GB ram
- 1080p 60fps DOCKED. 720p HANDHELD
- Usb type C charger
- MicroSD, microSDHC and microSDXC compatible
- 3 hour charge time. ~3 hour handheld time.
- ‘NVIDIA customized Tegra processor for GPU/CPU.
- It looks like consumers will need to provide their own SD cards for expanded memory.
- The battery will NOT be removable.
- The dock seems like it something that could be 3rd party possible.
- Joycons have ~20 hours of life, charge in 3.5 hours, and charge when connected with the console (if it is undocked, it will NOT charge until it his a specific low level of battery life.) Joycon Grip is just a passthrough for the Joycons to turn it into a standard controller (You need to buy an additional accessory for the Grip to charge the Joycons.
- Basically, the console is $300 but realistically all the accessories you may need will jump the cost up SIGNIFICANTLY (Dock is $90. Joycons are 50 each (both are $80), Pro controller is $70 and those are the accessory prices we KNOW about.
- There seemed to be some connectivity issues with the Joycon to the console from a distance which is very intriguing and maybe was a one off considering the amount of consoles/joycons and other wireless activity in the area… but maybe not?
- Indigo- Meh….
- Adrock – Will probably purchase somewhere down the road, but not an early adopter
- Croog – Initially, this product didn’t get me hyped at all. After all these details, I can safely say that I am about 30% hyped for this.
- Community manager for EA tweets out one simple thing. “#Skate4”.
- Daniel Lingen is a “Senior Manager for Community Engagement”
- Indigo – I hope this isn’t a ploy to see how well the community reacts so EA can see if they should make Skate 4 or not…as opposed to having the game together and hinting at its release.
- Adrock – (This was written by Adrock before he fully understood the concept behind this section. I leave it here, in it’s entirety, to embarass him -Croog) INTERNET!!! I’ve been internet less for the last while and working so I haven’t play a bunch of games other than pokemon SuMo. which I will easily call best of 2016… even if it’s the only game I could really afford last year…oh yeah and skateboarding (We literally had to explain to him what we expected to see…he finally got it… -Croog). I’ve been a huge fan of Tony Hawk and the first Skate but my interest in skating and the recent outings tied to the sport (TH 5…) and other dormant properties that turned out sequels recently (Guitar Heros god awful FMV game play) haven’t really instilled much faith in a proper sequel to anything in the genre.
- Croog – Even if this IS a Skate 4 teaser, I have little faith that it would be a good game with EA’s track record as of late. Also, best reply to this tweet goes to:
@HuskyHog Make EA Skate Again
— Jack Pattillo (@jack_p) January 28, 2017
- Beta started jan 20th and will end the 30th
- Beta is on PC and Xbox one
- Beta Tutorial video
- Indigo- Who the fuck was asking for this game? Also, *worst* tutorial video…It looks like they meant to have a voice over, but didn’t have enough time for it, so there are just these random long pauses where the player just sits there…
- Adrock- This is big question mark for me. I don’t recall Halo Wars being a hit, even inside the halo fan-base. This could be a contract deal that needs to be fulfilled or maybe its success was just moderate enough to be worthy of a sequel… I’m not just part of that group.
- Croog- Can I just call “money grab using a franchise that lost it’s luster years ago in my eyes”? I’m going to stick with that.
- Added jousting
- Hair growth /hair cut system (hair grows in in game time)
- Added tech tier builds
- Power armor/ Jet packs
- Super punch!
- Tech Rifle
- Tech saddle for T-rex
- New creatures
- Indigo- holy fuck there is a lot of adds if it wasn’t for the giant monsters i would have thought it was a different game
- Adrock- I… what… i thought this was minecraft with dinos… WHAT IS THIS GAME NOW!? I mean I wont say not to Frikken T-Rexes with Frikken Lazor beams on their Frikken Heads but … what? This is why I don’t play survival games.
- Croog- I always see videos like this with ARK endgame in it, and it makes me want to play, but then I get in game and can’t commit to the early game…it’s so slow…
- From the creator of flappy bird
- This time around he is working with Obokaidem
- This is also a free game using flappy birds monetization with ads and This includes a ‘Continue’ button that will restart a level where the timer stopped, but only after you’ve sat through a video ad.
- Indigo- wasn’t interested in flappy bird and not interested in this….
- Adrock- Eh. I wanted to write this off after his Flappy Bird Meltdown. But I dig the aesthetic and I like the minigames idea (though it’s not as zany as something like wario ware inc). Just looks like normal app store stuff that people will install and kill time with. Good for him so long as he doesnt melt down again. Im gonna be totally hypocritical as you are listening to me and my look-at-me podcast and say he should just stay behind his work instead of us focusing on him.
- Croog- I’m going to laugh if this guy complains about his game being successful again.
- Took less than 5 days for Denuvo to get worked around.
- The president is scary for Denuvo techs as it shows that their much lauded tech (which was pretty effective until now) could be used less or Publishers will use other means of DRM for their software. Capcom could even pull Denuvo from RE7 after this. Crytek, Playdead, and Bethesda have all previously used and pulled Denuvo from The Climb, Inside, and Doom after those games were cracked.
- Indigo- I just want to talk about my thoughts on the game. There will be a video later for it
- Adrock- I’m curious if there’s a point where the ‘eternal’ game of cat and mouse with pirates and publishers will end or if games will keep methods to fight pirates like Arkham Asylum, Serious Sam, or game dev tycoon have done in the past.
- Croog- Not. Surprising.
- Twitch banned YS from being streamed on twitch. YS has been in development for at least the last year and half (we’ve talked about it a long time ago on the show)
- There is no real reason from Twitch as to why the game (which isnt out) is banned from being streamed but many believe the content and style of the game, which the game is open about (The Tsundere/Yandere archetype, the intimacy of the violence, etc etc, the setting/age groups of the player/victims) could be the motivating factors.
- After a recent scathing video about being banned, the YS dev tries to work through why this is the case
- Indigo: WHY THE FUCK ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!!
- Adrock: I don’t have an interest in playing this game at the moment. I’m not a fan of the Tsundere archetype and fan service games like Senran Kagura, I just find this saga between Twitch and YS very interesting as this could be the pebble that has far reaching effects for indie devs, streaming services, censorship, and video games. YS has never seemed to be an obscene game to be obscene for obscenities sake, it was taking the idea to its possibly logical conclusion.
- Croog: WHY THE FUCK ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!!
Latest posts by Croog (see all)
- GameGorgon: Hunt Showdown Early Access Review - February 22, 2018
- D20 Academy Ep 18: Wedding Smashers Pt. 6 (Stranger Rings) - February 20, 2018
- GameGorgon: Professionalism in Gaming - February 18, 2018