Overwatch Developer Update
As the fall season of Overwatch continues, Game director Jeff Kaplan has once again released a short developer update video, explaining upcoming changes, new maps, and even more then one hero on the horizon, not just Sombra!
Some of these updates adress character viability, such as making junkrat more versatile, and forewarning a major change to Symmetra, which will be more then just a simple numbers change. Many Overwatch player’s have noted that Symmetra is extremely niche in which situations she can be used in, so making her easier to fit in has become a priority for the developers.
Other highlights of the video are:
Public Test Realm
- Feedback on Widowmaker’s scope changes have been positive. If she doesn’t become more viable / played, they will look into her again.
- Genji can no longer dash through Junkrat’s trap. This, and his faster ultimate charge, is to help with Junkrat’s viability.
- They are looking at changes for Symmetra. She needs to be viable in more situations.
- Her changes aren’t going to be simple number changes.
- No details to share yet, they’re still exploring. She could get a large design overhaul.
- They do not want to make Symmetra a healer. Supports don’t always need to be a healer.
- They know a lot of people are watching tournaments and that there are tons of requests for features.
- Work has been done on the camera to make it more stable and easier for observers to follow the action.
- A new map has been playtested quite a bit and now they’re working on art for it. There’s a cool story behind it.
- Another new map of an existing game mode is being prototyped.
- Four other maps are in early development that are for new game modes. These are experiments for developers only, won’t neccessarily all get into the game.
- New game modes need to let all heroes shine.
- The team is very passionate about new maps.
- New heroes are being actively worked on, with one hero in particular being quite for along.
- This hero is being playtested internally across the entire company.
- Release will be sooner rather than later.
- Another hero is being prototyped and they are very happy with it.
- Further away from release than the other hero, sometime next year.
- An upcoming update will open up more voice lines and emotes.
More information on Symmetra’s changes will be released soon, as it becomes finalised.
Latest posts by Neo (see all)
- Overwatch’s Winter Wonderland Returns! - December 11, 2017
- Philadelphia Fusion to Miss Preseason! - December 7, 2017
- Support Your Overwatch League Team With a Free Skin! - December 7, 2017