Malthael the Reaper of Souls Brings Death to the Nexus!
With Tyrael and Auriel already in Heroes of the Storm, it seems only right that they should be joined by another angel. Unfortunately this angel is Malthael, archangel of Death!
Malthael is an assassin mainly geared towards high hp targets such as tanks and other beefy foes, his percentage based attacks tearing huge chunks from his foes, regardless of their health level. Any melee opponents will need to beware his auto-attack, as each swing will remove health over time, and apply his Reaper’s Mark.Marked enemies are revealed and take damage equal to 2.5% of their maximum Health every second.
- Soul Rip (Q)
- Extract the souls of nearby enemies afflicted with Reaper’s Mark, dealing damage and Healing Malthael for a portion of the damage dealt to each target hit.
- Heroic targets heal Malthael for an additional 3% of the Hero’s maximum Health.
- Wraith Strike (W)
- Instantly teleport through an enemy afflicted by Reaper’s Mark, dealing damage and refreshing Reaper’s Mark.
- Death Shroud (E)
- After 0.25 seconds, unleash a wave of dark mist that applies Reaper’s Mark to the enemies it hits.
- Tormented Strike (R)
- Gain 20 Armor and unleash a torrent of souls, continually applying Reaper’s Mark to enemies for 4 seconds.
- Last Rites (R)
- Apply a death sentence to an enemy Hero that, after 2 seconds, deals damage equal to 50% of their missing Health.
- (!) Repeatable Quest: Enemies killed while under the effect of Last Rites permanently reduce its cooldown by 5 seconds, to a minimum of 15 seconds.
While it appears like Malthael will obliterate most teams, it is worth remembering he needs to be in melee range to apply his mark properly. ranged or fast heroes such as tracer or Sgt.Hammer provide an excellent counter to his abilities, capable of putting the angel of death into the grave before he can do the same to them.
Expect to see Malthael used for maps where team-fights are common, as spreading out his reaper’s mark will be devastating to any tightly knit composition.
For more information on Malthael’s abilities, check out the official hero notes here!