GameGorgon: Visceral Games Rest in Peace
We are sad to announce that Visceral Games is closing their doors.
- EA owns a studio called Visceral Games. They developed stuff like:
- Dead Space / Dead Space 2 / Dead Space 3
- Battlefield Hardline
- Visceral started as a team in the “EA Games” division, and after the success of “Dead Space”, they were rebranded to “Visceral” and became the first genre-specific studio at EA
- EA Explained in a blog post that they will be closing down Visceral
- Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe
- …it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game.
- listening to the feedback…and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace…to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.
- we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.
- A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closing, and we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.
TinFoil Hat Theory (that isn’t really that farfetched)
- The Dead Space franchise didn’t lend itself to microtransactions
- It’s possible that this shift in development team is to allow a group of devs with more experience creating games that support microtransactions to rework EA’s next Star War’s title into something that can be monetized using microtransactions (or DLC or whatever other BS)
For more GameGorgon Content check here!
Make sure to subscribe to us on youtube!
Latest posts by Indigo Jones (see all)
- Hearthstone Kobolds and Catacombs 56 PACK OPENING! - December 8, 2017
- GameGorgon: Xanathar’s Guide to Everything Review - December 4, 2017
- GameGorgon: More Loot Boxes - November 30, 2017