GameGorgon: Toxic Overwatch
Is the Overwatch forums toxic? Jeff Kaplan has a few words to say about it and so do we! All that and more on today’s GameGorgon.
- Jeff Kaplan made a forum post talking about what developers experience when posting on forums.
- This was in response to a post titled “Do you think Overwatch team simply not have enough people?”, where the OP discusses the lack of communication from the dev team.
- Best quote:
- While most players have a few “causes” that they focus on, we – the team – care about *literally* every experience that has anything to do with OW. We care about where a button on the screen goes, what sound it makes, what color it is. We care about what the email says to a player who has just been banned. We care about constantly trying to improve ping times worldwide and server up time. We care about what Mei says when she is sad. We care about the integrity of Top 500 play, the tournament rules for esports, how big the OW logo is on a backpack. We care about all 26 heroes equally.
- Jeff also discusses the issues caused by the devolpers trying to be open using their real names
- Emails from the community sent to the higher ups demanding the firing of devs
- Personal attacks / threats
- People take any developer interaction as gospel: