GameGorgon: Activision Patent
Activision is doing some shady stuff with their micro-transaction patent. Will this effect how games are played in the future or with the all blow up in their face? all this and more on today’s GameGorgon.
Activision Patents a very scary “system and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games”
- Patent was requesting in 2015 rewarded earlier this month
- Patent discusses how players will be paired with people to make them want to buy in game items
- “For example, microtransaction engine 128 may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game…Microtransaction engine 128 may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the highly skilled sniper.”
- After Purchasing an Item in the game that player will then be placed in matches where the item is more effective.
- A Rep from Activision made the statement to Kotaku
- “This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game.”
- Bungie also came out and stated this is not in destiny 2
This patent couldn’t have come out at a worse time with all of the other microtransaction issues going on
For more GameGorgon Content check here!
Make sure to subscribe to us on youtube!